What Is the Crime of Lewd Molestation in Oklahoma?
When facing the daunting prospect of lewd molestation charges, it's crucial to understand the meaning of terms like "lewd" and "lascivious". They have the same meaning and signify conduct that is lustful and which evinces an eagerness for sexual indulgence. Unfortunately for my clients, the word of the accuser is enough to get them charged.
An accusation alone is enough to stop your life in its tracks and subject you to the pains and penalties associated with criminal legal investigations and court proceedings. Law enforcement only cares about making a case against you. Police and prosecutors don’t believe you. They think you are a liar and a child molester. They believe the accuser and want you to be charged with the accusation.
Lewd molestation” is defined in the Oklahoma Statutes. It covers a wide variety of illegal conduct:
- It is a felony to knowingly and intentionally make any oral, written, or electronically lewd or indecent proposal to any child under 16 years old or someone the person believes is under 16, for the child to have unlawful sexual relations or sexual intercourse with any person;
- Knowingly and intentionally to look upon, touch, maul, or feel the body or private parts of any child under 16 in any lewd or lascivious manner by any acts against public decency or morality;
- Knowingly and intentionally to ask, invite, entice, or persuade any child under 16, or another individual the person believes is under 16, to go alone with any person to a secluded, remote, or secret place, with the unlawful and willful intent and purpose then and there to commit any crime against public decency and morality with the child;
- Knowingly and intentionally in a lewd and lascivious way to look upon, touch, maul, or feel the body or private parts of any child under 16 in any indecent manner or in any manner relating to sexual matters or sexual interest;
- Knowingly and intentionally in a lewd and lascivious manner and for the purpose of sexual gratification to
- Urinate or defecate upon a child under 16;
- Ejaculate upon or in the presence of a child;
- Cause, expose, force, or require a child to look upon the body or private parts of another person;
- Force or require any child under 16 (or another individual the person believes to be a child under 16) to view any obscene materials, child pornography, or materials deemed harmful to minors;
- Cause, expose, force, or require a child to look upon sexual acts performed in the presence of the child; or
- Force or require a child to touch or feel the body or private parts of the child or another person.
Penalties You Could Face for Lewd Molestation
The penalties for these charges are massive, catastrophic, and life-altering.
Under Oklahoma law, lewd molestation as described above is a felony punishable by imprisonment for 3 to 20 years if the child is 12 years or older. If the child is under the age of 12, the term of imprisonment is 25 years to life. Twenty-five years is the mandatory minimum for a first offense with no criminal history if the accuser is under the age of 12.
These charges are considered “85 percent crimes,” meaning you must serve 85% of the sentence before being eligible for parole or good time credits. These charges also require mandatory sex offender registration for life.
Choose a Highly Focused Sex Crimes Criminal Defense Lawyer in Oklahoma for Unmatched Legal Support
When facing serious allegations like this, it's vital to have a criminal defense lawyer who is a master in this complex area of law.
By selecting Lee Berlin for lewd molestation charges, the only criminal defense lawyer in Oklahoma who dedicates his practice entirely to sex crimes and domestic violence, you can benefit from his extensive knowledge, strategic approach, and unwavering commitment to protecting your rights.
With his knowledge in navigating the intricacies of Oklahoma's legal system, you’ll be provided with unparalleled guidance and representation throughout the entire process. Whether you're dealing with accusations of lewd molestation, indecent proposals, or other related offenses, you can be absolutely sure you will have the insights and resources necessary to build a strong defense tailored to your unique circumstances.
Trust our unmatched expertise to safeguard your reputation, freedom, and future. Choose The Berlin Law Firm to ensure the best possible outcome in lewd molestation charges.